Saturday 8 February 2014

Admitted to hospital


It took a while to be seen by the doctors in the morning. When they asked me why I came to hospital I summed it up by showing them photos I took on my iphone of my lymph gland a few days previously and then a photo I that was taken the previous evening. This spurred them into action as it was blatantly obvious from the photos of the substantial swelling which had occurred in a matter of days.
The Drs managed to get my CT scan booked for that day so a nurse told me that I would have to drink a special contrast drink at 2, 2:30 and 3pm. At 1pm a different nurse came by telling me it was time to drink it but I looked at the clock and realised it was too early. At 1:15pm she came by again and worriedly exclaimed “oh but you haven’t had the drink yet” I pointed out the time and she replied “oh it isn’t 2pm??!” in surprise! I tell ya, it just shows that you have to always double check as nurses can make mistakes too (I can say that as being a nurse myself I am speaking from experience!).
So at 2pm I had the dreadful drink and immediately wanted to throw up. I found it easier to just scull it at once and then wash the awful taste with some juice. The CT scan was done without any drama. They informed me that with the dye that they have to inject had the side effects of a metallic taste in your mouth, warm, tingly sensation and the feeling like you have peed your pants. Such a strange sensation!

Afterwards the porter came to take me and stated “off to transit bay hey” and I replied “no I have a bed on Ward 5C”. He showed me his walkie-talkie with the booking text and sure enough it was incorrect. Good thing he asked! So I was admitted to the haematology ward, making it my third admission there in the past month. I was put in a double room and immediately noticed the beautiful balloons and letters and photos decorating my room-mates side of the room. It was so colourful and I had severe balloon-envy! The nurse explained my roomie was a young girl and she was on day leave. I was feeling terribly nauseated and waiting for the IV Zofran to kick in.
My folks arrived and were flustered regarding where to unpack my clothes. It took a lot of effort to inform them that it didn’t really matter where, as long as my clothes were in the drawers, etc! My Mum means well but lacks self-confidence so has to be given directions for EVERY SINGLE TASK… its exhausting when you are feeling unwell and just want people to take some initiative.

Later that evening I met my roomie. She is only sixteen-so young! I still cannot believe I am in hospital, having all these tests, everything is happening so quickly I haven't really had the time, nor energy for that matter to stop and process what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment